ACADEMIC TUTOR POSITION
|Job Title:||Academic Tutor (Language Arts or Mathematics)||Job Category:||Education|
|Location:||1512 S. Pulaski Rd, Chicago, IL 60623||Position Type:||part-time|
|Level/Salary Range:||Hourly||Compensation:||$15.00 Hour|
|Contact Information:||Samantha Friar, Education Manager
|Hire Date:||March 31, 2017|
Duties and Responsibilities
BBF Family Services seeks a qualified academic tutor to provide group and individual academic tutoring. The ideal candidate is a committed, self-motivated, enthusiastic professional who is willing to work with the community of North Lawndale.
The qualified candidate would be responsible for preparing and facilitating tutoring workshops, collaborative projects, and academic support sessions for groups of students. This role also requires the tutor to support and collaborate with the Education Manager and Mentor Coordinator. The academic tutor will also be required to implement the following:
- Organize tutoring environment to promote productivity and learning.
- Identify, develop, and implement a tutoring plan.
- Assess students’ progress throughout tutoring sessions.
- Teach students study skills, note-taking skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Provide instruction to individual or groups of students to improve academic performance
- In collaboration with Education Manager, maintain records of students’ assessment results, progress, and feedback on school performance while ensuring confidentiality of all records.
- Review class material with students by discussing text, working solutions to problems, or reviewing worksheets or other assignments.
- Provide feedback to students using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, or build confidence in students.
- Communicate students’ progress to students, parents or teachers in written progress reports, in person, by phone, or by email.
- All other duties as assigned.
Skills and Specifications
Experience in teaching public speaking, writing, and poetry workshops. K-12 Mathematics endorsement preferred.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Regular sitting, working at computer keyboard and desk, standing to file miscellaneous documentation in filing cabinet, occasional bending, stooping, and lifting. Onsite and occasional travel as required.
Education and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor’s Degree